Missing teeth are much more than just a cosmetic imperfection that prevents you from smiling with confidence. Failure to replace missing teeth can also lead to serious oral health issues down the road. There are several tooth replacement options available to you, but dental implants are by far the most effective. In fact, Dr. Donald Wilcox recommends them as the preferred option for all of his Scottsdale-area patients who are suitable dental implant candidates. Here are 8 reasons why dental implants are a better choice than alternatives such as dentures and dental bridges:
- Stable – Dental implants fuse with your jawbone, allowing them to stay secure without the use of clasps or adhesives. This also allows them to function as a replacement root, improving the function of your new prosthetic tooth.
- Jawbone preservation – When you lose a tooth, your jawbone stops receiving stimulation from chewing pressure. Over time, this results in bone deterioration. By replacing the root, dental implants restore this stimulation and prevent bone deterioration.
- Improved eating ability – Full chewing function is restored, allowing you to eat all of your favorite foods whenever you like.
- Improved speaking ability – Poorly-fitting dentures tend to slip, causing you to slur your speech. The increased stability associated with a permanent restoration like dental implants eliminates this problem, enabling you to speak clearly.
- Improved comfort – Alternatives such as dentures and dental bridges rely on support from neighboring teeth and gum tissue. This can cause irritation and inflammation. Because dental implants are permanently inserted into the jaw, they eliminate this discomfort.
- Longer lasting – When properly cared for, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Improved oral health – Dental implants prevent bone deterioration, reduce the risk of additional tooth loss, and prevent neighboring teeth from shifting to fill the gaps, which can lead to bite alignment issues.
- Improved appearance – You will be able to flash your newly restored smile with confidence. Dr. Wilcox uses the finest quality porcelain for your dental crown, ensuring it blends in seamlessly with your neighboring teeth.
The best way to find out if dental implants are right for you is to come for an examination at Dr. Wilcox’s office in the Scottsdale, Arizona area. During this examination, he will also explain the many benefits of dental implants in greater detail. Please contact Desert Smiles today to schedule your free dental implant consultation. Dr. Wilcox serves patients in the Scottsdale, Arizona area.