Dental implants are one of the most effective solutions to replace a missing tooth. They are the only option that replaces your missing root as well as your tooth. As a result, your new prosthetic tooth will be permanently fused to your jawbone, allowing it to function just like a natural tooth. While most people with missing teeth can take advantage of this great option, not everyone is a suitable candidate. During your initial consultation at our Glendale implant dentistry office, Dr. Donald Wilcox will review your medical history and evaluate the health of your surrounding teeth, gums, and jawbone to determine whether you are a good candidate for dental implants. Ideal dental implant candidates:
- Are in good general health
- Are not taking any medications or suffer from any medical conditions which may negatively impact bone healing
- Have sufficient jawbone density in the toothless region to support a dental implant
- Do not have gum disease
- Do not smoke or are willing to commit to quitting smoking throughout the entire dental implant process and healing period
- Are willing to commit to the lengthy time period required to complete the dental implant process
If you do not meet all of these criteria, it does not necessarily rule you out as a candidate for dental implants. For example, if you do not have adequate bone structure to accommodate the implant, Dr. Wilcox may be able to perform a bone graft before moving forward with the procedure. Similarly, severe cases of gum disease can be treated and controlled in order to allow you to successfully go through the dental implant process. To learn more about whether dental implants are right for you, please contact Desert Smiles today to schedule your free initial consultation. Dr. Donald Wilcox serves patients in Phoenix, Glendale, and Scottsdale, Arizona.