If you have dental phobia, you may have a fear of a specific danger that you believe is associated with dental offices. This fear may be so overpowering that you avoid the dentist altogether. If your fear of the dentist is preventing you from visiting the dentist, sedation dentistry may be able to help you relax and calm your anxieties. Common dental phobias include:
- Fear of the sights, sounds and smells of the dental office.
- Fear of a medical emergency arising during your dental appointment.
- Fear of fainting or having a panic attack.
- Fear of gagging or choking during your appointment.
- Fear of an allergic reaction to materials used at the dentist.
- Fear of not having control of what happens at the dentist.
For many patients who suffer from dental phobias, the fear of the dentist is caused by a past traumatic dental experience. For others, fear of the dentist may be more like a general anxiety that exists even though you have never had a traumatic dental experience. Regardless of the source of your phobia, the sedation dentistry team at Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Sedation Dentistry wants to help you overcome these fears. At our office, we are committed to helping fearful patients feel comfortable, relaxed and safe. We provide sedation dentistry as well as comforting, personalized service and attention to your individual concerns. To find out whether sedation dentistry is right for you, please contact experienced Glendale, Arizona cosmetic dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox to schedule a consultation at Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Sedation Dentistry.