1. What do porcelain veneers correct? Veneers correct a wide range of cosmetic dental problems, such as:
- Gaps between teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Worn teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Teeth that are too small
Veneers correct these problems by concealing them. The veneer creates a new, attractive and flawless tooth surface.
2. How long do they last? The longevity varies. Some studies have shown that veneers can last a decade or longer before wear may require their replacement. Veneers are also very strong, but it is possible for them to crack or chip, particularly if you sustain an injury to your mouth. In such a scenario, you would need to have the damaged veneer replaced.
3. Do they require special care? No. Caring for your veneers is the same as caring for your natural teeth. Although the veneer itself cannot decay, the surrounding tooth can. And your gums around the veneered tooth can also become infected, so it's important to brush and floss teeth with veneers just as you did before.
4. Can they be whitened? The porcelain material does not respond to whitening agents. Therefore, if you want a brighter smile, you should whiten your natural teeth and then have your new veneers matched to the color. Veneers are highly resistant to stains, but after several years, you may notice some discoloration. When that happens, you may wish to replace your veneers.
5. What is the process for getting them? The process is quite simple. You'll visit Dr. Donald Wilcox for a consultation. Once he determines you are a good candidate, you'll come back for another appointment to prep your teeth. Over the next couple of weeks, your veneers will be fabricated at a lab. Then, you'll come in for your final appointment to have the veneers placed, which is a painless process that involves cementing the veneer to the tooth enamel.
If you are interested in porcelain veneers and you live in or around Phoenix or Scottsdale, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790.