Desert Smiles Blog
Glendale Dentist Serving Phoenix, Scottsdale, Peoria, and nearby areas in Arizona
As someone missing one or more teeth, you may feel too embarrassed to smile and laugh. For this reason, the presence of missing teeth is bad for your mental and emotional well-being. But lost teeth are also bad for your oral health. Dental implants are an effective, durable and secure form of teeth replacement. Watch the video below to find out if you are a good candidate.
The only way to know for sure is to visit Dr. Donald Wilcox in Glendale for a one-on-one consultation. To arrange your appointment, please call our experienced staff at 602-978-1790. Dr. Wilcox is proud to serve people from across Arizona, including Scottsdale, Peoria, Phoenix and all of the surrounding areas.
Many of our patients have experienced outstanding results from implant dentistry! Consider some of the things to expect from the results:
- You'll need to allow some time for the implant to fuse with the bone. This is essential to the healing process. You'll wear a temporary restoration during this time. After that, the permanent tooth restoration will be attached to the implant.
- Dental implants have the potential to last a lifetime, making them one of the longest-lasting tooth replacement systems, if not THE longest-lasting tooth replacement system.
- Dental implants offer maximum stability. They stand apart from other tooth replacement systems because they are embedded in the bone beneath your teeth. There, the implants form a secure bond with the bone. For this reason, they won't move around and they are highly unlikely to fail once the site heals.
- Dental implants look like your natural teeth. The porcelain dental crown, dental bridge or denture fastened to the dental implants look incredibly lifelike. Their color is matched to the color of your natural teeth, and they have the luster and sheen of real enamel.
The only way to know for sure whether you are a good candidate is to call Desert Smiles to schedule a consultation with Dr. Donald Wilcox. To arrange your appointment, please call our experienced staff at 602-978-1790. We are proud to serve Glendale and all of the surrounding areas, including Phoenix, Scottsdale and Peoria.
Tooth crowns are an important dental restoration. They protect damaged, vulnerable teeth. At Desert Smiles, we offer the following types of tooth crowns for our patients:
- All-porcelain crowns. Porcelain crowns are precisely matched to the color of your teeth. You can even have your teeth whitened beforehand, and then match the crown to your bright smile. These crowns are durable and strong, effectively restoring a weakened tooth. Yet they are also the most aesthetically pleasing tooth crowns available.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns. Although porcelain crowns are quite durable, they are more susceptible to breaking and wear than other types of crowns. They are a very good option for front teeth, but for molars, where a lot of chewing force is exerted, a porcelain-fused-to-metal option may be better. These crowns have the strength of metal without the unsightliness of metal.
- Gold crowns. Gold crowns are occasionally recommended. These crowns are used much less often than other types of crowns, mainly because of their distracting appearance in your smile.
The only way to know which type of tooth crown will best protect your teeth is to visit experienced Glendale dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox. Our dental team will make sure you know all of your options for a treatment approach that will yield a healthy, beautiful, strong smile.
If you live in Glendale and want to know if a tooth crown is right for your dental health, then please call Desert Smiles, at 602-978-1790, to schedule a consultation with experienced dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox! Dr. Wilcox is proud to serve people from across the greater Phoenix area, including Scottsdale and Peoria.
http://www.desertsmiles.com/In our quest to always provide the latest and best possible dental solutions, Dr. Wilcox attended a continuing education course at the Glidewell International Technology Center in Irvine California this past weekend. The course was focused on full-arch implant solutions including overdentures and the popular fixed zirconium restoration. Dr. Paresh Patel served as the instructor for the course.
Denture wearers or patients faced with losing teeth no longer have to wear something removable in their mouth. With implant supported options fixed restorations are now available that do not require removal. The zirconium restoration provides great esthetic results and is incredibly durable. We are currently providing this service in our office and having excellent results. If you would like a complimentary consultation to see if you would be a candidate for this procedure call our staff at DesertSmiles at 602-978-1790.
Sleep apnea is a serious disorder affecting many Americans. Interrupted sleep night after night can severely impact your days. You may have difficulty concentrating at work and you may feel tired all the time. Sleep apnea also affects your long-term health. Please watch the video below to learn more.
Fortunately, there is treatment for sleep apnea. Dr. Donald Wilcox can help you find relief. If you live in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria or any of the surrounding areas in Arizona, please call Desert Smiles at 602-978-1790.
At a certain point in the porcelain veneers process, you will wear temporary veneers. Please watch the video below to learn why:
If you are interested in porcelain veneers in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Peoria, Glendale or any of the surrounding areas, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790 to schedule a consultation with experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox.
Visiting your dentist routinely is important. Please consider these three benefits of visiting your dentist every six months:
1. Prevent tooth decay by way of a professional dental cleaning. Brushing and flossing at home is one part of proper oral care. The other part is the cleaning you receive at our dentistry office. Using professional tools and techniques, our dental hygienists remove tartar (hardened plaque that can lead to gum disease and tooth decay) and dental plaque from your teeth and gum line.
2. Find out if your at-home teeth cleaning routine is effective. Our hygienists and Dr. Donald Wilcox can determine how well your at-home dental care is working. They will also make customized recommendations for improvement, so that you know how to achieve and maintain your best oral health.
3. Catch dental problems early with a dental exam. During your dental exam, Dr. Wilcox uses a visual exam, x-rays and other assessments of oral health to spot dental problems. A professional dental exam helps you avoid problems like tooth decay, gum disease, TMJ, oral cancer and bite misalignment.
To learn more about our Scottsdale and Glendale area dentistry, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790. We look forward to meeting you and discussing your dental goals.
Sedation dentistry can be a great option for people who have dental anxiety, or for some other reason are afraid to go to the dentist. Sedation enables you to receive the routine dental care you need, without the fear and anxiety that may have caused you to avoid scheduling your appointments in the first place. Please watch the video below to learn more about the types of sedation available.
To find out if you are a good candidate for sedation dentistry in Glendale, Arizona, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790.
1. What do porcelain veneers correct? Veneers correct a wide range of cosmetic dental problems, such as:
- Gaps between teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Worn teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Teeth that are too small
Veneers correct these problems by concealing them. The veneer creates a new, attractive and flawless tooth surface.
2. How long do they last? The longevity varies. Some studies have shown that veneers can last a decade or longer before wear may require their replacement. Veneers are also very strong, but it is possible for them to crack or chip, particularly if you sustain an injury to your mouth. In such a scenario, you would need to have the damaged veneer replaced.
3. Do they require special care? No. Caring for your veneers is the same as caring for your natural teeth. Although the veneer itself cannot decay, the surrounding tooth can. And your gums around the veneered tooth can also become infected, so it's important to brush and floss teeth with veneers just as you did before.
4. Can they be whitened? The porcelain material does not respond to whitening agents. Therefore, if you want a brighter smile, you should whiten your natural teeth and then have your new veneers matched to the color. Veneers are highly resistant to stains, but after several years, you may notice some discoloration. When that happens, you may wish to replace your veneers.
5. What is the process for getting them? The process is quite simple. You'll visit Dr. Donald Wilcox for a consultation. Once he determines you are a good candidate, you'll come back for another appointment to prep your teeth. Over the next couple of weeks, your veneers will be fabricated at a lab. Then, you'll come in for your final appointment to have the veneers placed, which is a painless process that involves cementing the veneer to the tooth enamel.
If you are interested in porcelain veneers and you live in or around Phoenix or Scottsdale, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790.
Quality dental care can require a significant financial investment. Many Phoenix residents consider traveling to Mexico due to its close proximity in hopes of saving considerable dollars for dental treatment. The question is will you really save money in the long run? The initial fees will definitely be less, but if dentistry is not done to the highest standards, problems can quickly develop and lead to costly remakes, discomfort and even tooth loss. Having to travel back to Mexico when problems do arise is inconvenient and often times people find that there is no warranty on faulty work. In the last few months we have redone a significant amount of dentistry for two patients that was done in Mexico. The quality was poor to mediocre at best and problems had developed in a few months, including not being able to wear an appliance made, need for crowns to be redone, root canals needed and even tooth loss in one case.
Dentistry is difficult to do and when placed in the mouth is subject to constant forces trying to break it down. Even the very best dentistry will not last forever. But if poor work is placed, whatever initial savings can be lost very quickly when problems and pain develop and work has to be redone. Based upon the work I have seen coming out of Mexico, I would caution patients seeking care there to be careful about assuming they will save money in the long run. At DesertSmiles Dr. Donald Wilcox provides the finest in cosmetic, sedation and implant dentistry, but we also stand behind our work when any problems arise to help our Phoenix and Glendale patients receive long term value. Lower fees initially does not mean you are saving money. You may well be embarking on the most expensive, inconvenient and painful treatment plan if the quality is not exceptional and there is no warranty for the treatment.
Visit www.DesertSmiles.com for more information and a no charge consultaton.