Desert Smiles Blog
Glendale Dentist Serving Phoenix, Scottsdale, Peoria, and nearby areas in Arizona
Sleep apnea is a serious disorder affecting many Americans. Interrupted sleep night after night can severely impact your days. You may have difficulty concentrating at work and you may feel tired all the time. Sleep apnea also affects your long-term health. Please watch the video below to learn more.
Fortunately, there is treatment for sleep apnea. Dr. Donald Wilcox can help you find relief. If you live in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria or any of the surrounding areas in Arizona, please call Desert Smiles at 602-978-1790.
At a certain point in the porcelain veneers process, you will wear temporary veneers. Please watch the video below to learn why:
If you are interested in porcelain veneers in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Peoria, Glendale or any of the surrounding areas, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790 to schedule a consultation with experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox.
Visiting your dentist routinely is important. Please consider these three benefits of visiting your dentist every six months:
1. Prevent tooth decay by way of a professional dental cleaning. Brushing and flossing at home is one part of proper oral care. The other part is the cleaning you receive at our dentistry office. Using professional tools and techniques, our dental hygienists remove tartar (hardened plaque that can lead to gum disease and tooth decay) and dental plaque from your teeth and gum line.
2. Find out if your at-home teeth cleaning routine is effective. Our hygienists and Dr. Donald Wilcox can determine how well your at-home dental care is working. They will also make customized recommendations for improvement, so that you know how to achieve and maintain your best oral health.
3. Catch dental problems early with a dental exam. During your dental exam, Dr. Wilcox uses a visual exam, x-rays and other assessments of oral health to spot dental problems. A professional dental exam helps you avoid problems like tooth decay, gum disease, TMJ, oral cancer and bite misalignment.
To learn more about our Scottsdale and Glendale area dentistry, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790. We look forward to meeting you and discussing your dental goals.
Sedation dentistry can be a great option for people who have dental anxiety, or for some other reason are afraid to go to the dentist. Sedation enables you to receive the routine dental care you need, without the fear and anxiety that may have caused you to avoid scheduling your appointments in the first place. Please watch the video below to learn more about the types of sedation available.
To find out if you are a good candidate for sedation dentistry in Glendale, Arizona, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790.
1. What do porcelain veneers correct? Veneers correct a wide range of cosmetic dental problems, such as:
- Gaps between teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Worn teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Teeth that are too small
Veneers correct these problems by concealing them. The veneer creates a new, attractive and flawless tooth surface.
2. How long do they last? The longevity varies. Some studies have shown that veneers can last a decade or longer before wear may require their replacement. Veneers are also very strong, but it is possible for them to crack or chip, particularly if you sustain an injury to your mouth. In such a scenario, you would need to have the damaged veneer replaced.
3. Do they require special care? No. Caring for your veneers is the same as caring for your natural teeth. Although the veneer itself cannot decay, the surrounding tooth can. And your gums around the veneered tooth can also become infected, so it's important to brush and floss teeth with veneers just as you did before.
4. Can they be whitened? The porcelain material does not respond to whitening agents. Therefore, if you want a brighter smile, you should whiten your natural teeth and then have your new veneers matched to the color. Veneers are highly resistant to stains, but after several years, you may notice some discoloration. When that happens, you may wish to replace your veneers.
5. What is the process for getting them? The process is quite simple. You'll visit Dr. Donald Wilcox for a consultation. Once he determines you are a good candidate, you'll come back for another appointment to prep your teeth. Over the next couple of weeks, your veneers will be fabricated at a lab. Then, you'll come in for your final appointment to have the veneers placed, which is a painless process that involves cementing the veneer to the tooth enamel.
If you are interested in porcelain veneers and you live in or around Phoenix or Scottsdale, please call Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at 602-978-1790.
Quality dental care can require a significant financial investment. Many Phoenix residents consider traveling to Mexico due to its close proximity in hopes of saving considerable dollars for dental treatment. The question is will you really save money in the long run? The initial fees will definitely be less, but if dentistry is not done to the highest standards, problems can quickly develop and lead to costly remakes, discomfort and even tooth loss. Having to travel back to Mexico when problems do arise is inconvenient and often times people find that there is no warranty on faulty work. In the last few months we have redone a significant amount of dentistry for two patients that was done in Mexico. The quality was poor to mediocre at best and problems had developed in a few months, including not being able to wear an appliance made, need for crowns to be redone, root canals needed and even tooth loss in one case.
Dentistry is difficult to do and when placed in the mouth is subject to constant forces trying to break it down. Even the very best dentistry will not last forever. But if poor work is placed, whatever initial savings can be lost very quickly when problems and pain develop and work has to be redone. Based upon the work I have seen coming out of Mexico, I would caution patients seeking care there to be careful about assuming they will save money in the long run. At DesertSmiles Dr. Donald Wilcox provides the finest in cosmetic, sedation and implant dentistry, but we also stand behind our work when any problems arise to help our Phoenix and Glendale patients receive long term value. Lower fees initially does not mean you are saving money. You may well be embarking on the most expensive, inconvenient and painful treatment plan if the quality is not exceptional and there is no warranty for the treatment.
Visit www.DesertSmiles.com for more information and a no charge consultaton.
Bleeding gums are a big concern for your dental and overall health. If your gums are bleeding while you brush or floss, you have an infection. This infection can easily seep into your blood stream and lead to serious medical conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes. Bleeding gums could also be a sign of gingivitis which is the first stage of gum disease.
Our Glendale cosmetic dentist can assess the health of your gums and teeth during your dental check up. Dr. Wilcox can help you address your bleeding gums before it causes bone damage and leads to tooth loss. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to get your teeth healthy again.
If you have bleeding gums, please call Desert Smiles in Glendale to schedule an examination today at 602-978-1790. We provide preventative dentistry to patients in Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale and Peoria, Arizona.
Dental bonding and porcelain veneers are both great options for correcting teeth abnormalities and flaws. Dr. Donald Wilcox in Glendale can help you determine which procedure is best for you depending on your teeth, your age and your budget during your initial consultation.
Dental bonding is great for young adults who have tooth issues and have not fully developed into their smile. This process uses a material that is applied to your teeth to fix discoloration, gaps and misalignment. Porcelain veneers are more costly than dental bonding, but offer a more permanent solution that doesn't easily stain.
If you're interested in dental bonding or porcelain veneers, contact our Glendale cosmetic dentist at 602-978-1790 today to schedule your consultation. Desert Smiles provides general and cosmetic dentistry to patients in Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale and Peoria, Arizona along with the surrounding areas.
As many as 40 million Americans, or roughly 15 percent of the country’s population, suffer from mild to extreme fear of going to the dentist. Even worse, dental fear and anxiety often spurs people to put off much-needed care of their teeth and gums.
Here are some common characteristics of people who suffer from dental anxiety or phobia:
- They develop a sense of uneasiness when it’s time for their dentist appointment.
- They exaggerate the reasons for their fear and anxiety.
- Their negative feelings may range from simple nerves to all-out panic.
If this sounds familiar, you owe it to yourself to visit with Phoenix-area cosmetic dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox at Desert Smiles in Glendale, Arizona about the benefits of dental sedation, particularly for patients whose anxiety stems from painful, traumatic dental work in the past.
Dr. Wilcox has been voted one of the area’s Top Dentists by Phoenix Magazine, and is ideally-suited to help ease his patients into the general and cosmetic dentistry treatments that can return their teeth and gums to their natural state of health and beauty.
Please understand that by avoiding the dentist, you could be setting yourself up for even more severe oral health problems including severe gum disease along with discolored, chipped, cracked and eventually missing teeth.
Don’t wait. Find out how dental sedation can change your relationship with the dentist. Contact Desert Smiles in Glendale today to find out how our Phoenix-area cosmetic dentist can help you achieve the best smile of your life. You can reach our office online through this website or by calling 602-978-1790.
Now that people are becoming more aware of the prevalence of sleep apnea and its health effects, Phoenix-area cosmetic dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox at Desert Smiles in Glendale wants you to know that you have choices when it comes to treating this far-reaching condition.
As our dentist explains here, the most common approach to sleep apnea treatment is the use of a CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure machine. But this treatment is not uniformly effective for all sleep apnea sufferers.
To find out how our cosmetic dentist treatments sleep apnea without a CPAP, please contact Desert Smiles in Glendale today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Wilcox: 602-978-1790.