Desert Smiles Blog
Glendale Dentist Serving Phoenix, Scottsdale, Peoria, and nearby areas in Arizona
At our Glendale dental office our professional hygiene staff is passionate about providing the very best in preventive dentistry for our Phoenix and Peoria patients. Part of that passion is keeping up with the latest in medical literature which continues to link oral bacteria to medical condiditons such as heart disease, diabetes, and pregnancy.
The oral bacteria change whan a women becomes pregnant, and levels of periodontal bacteria increase. Often during pregnancy, gum inflammation worsens due to increased levels of certain oral bacteria. Not all but some studies show there is an increased risk of infection to both the placenta and the blood of the mother. Either can lead to an increase in pre-term labor and lower birth weight in some cases. Other studies have shown the long term risk for systemic health concerns in mothers with periodontal disease can lead to progression of atherosclerosis and the increased risk of venous thrombosis.
For a complete periodontal evaluation especially if you have a history of bleeding gums or you are pregnant, call602-978-1790. For the finest in preventive and cosmetic dentistry, or sleep dentistry in Phoenix and Glendale visit www.DesertSmiles.com for more information.
A root canal, also known as endodontic therapy, is a treatment designed to save a tooth that has nerve damage due to excessive decay or from a traumatic-related blow to the tooth. Because the symptoms mimic those of other conditions, you may not realize that your tooth’s nerve is damaged and in need of removal. We recommend viewing our slideshare for a guide to root canals. It may help you recognize the signs that you need the procedure and also help you know what to expect during treatment.
If you believe you may need a root canal, contact Desert Smiles Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry at602-978-1790to schedule a consultation. We proudly serve those who live in and near Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Peoria, Arizona.
Phoenix dentist Dr Donald Wilcox and his professional hygiene staff seek to provide the last in preventive periodontal treatment to patients from Glendale, Phoenix and many other parts of the valley. The last few years the medical and dental literature is on fire regarding the "Oral Systemic Connection". In simpler terms, oral bacteria are being implicated in numerous medical conditions and the medical community is becoming much more aware that the mouth is not separate from the rest of the body. Some medical practitioners are testing oral saliva for bacteria levels as part of their diagnostic care. Recent studies have also shown patients with healthy periodontal tissues have 22% less medical costs.
More than 70 international experts from The American Academy of Periodontology and the European Federation of Periodontology conducted an intense review of the available evidence supporting the association between periodontal disease and other systemic diseases. The consensus report concluded:
*There is strong evidence that periodontal disease provides an increase risk for future cardiovascular disease.
*There is an independent association between moderate to severe periodontal disease and an increase risk for the development or progression of diabetes.
*An association between maternal periodontal disease and adverse pregnancy outcomes such as low birth weight.
*Evidence suggests a relationship between periodontal disease and COPD, pneumonia, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, cognitive impairment, metabolic syndrome and cancers.
In conclusion, there is a strong association between periodontal disease and conditions affecting many of the body's other systems.
To get a periodontal assessment contact DesertSmiles to one of our outstanding and well trained hygienists. Your health could be dependent upon now or in the future. Visit www.DesertSmiles.com for more information.
Experienced dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox wants you to find an ideal tooth replacement. Dental implants are the longest-lasting, most durable and secure option for many of our patients. But that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. When you meet with Dr. Wilcox in your one-on-one consultation, you and he can discuss all aspects of your implant dentistry candidacy. If you aren't sure what to ask about, here are some example questions:
- Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
- Are there other tooth replacement options I should consider?
- What is the procedure like?
- How should I get ready for the procedure?
- How long does it take?
- How long do dental implants last?
- How do I clean and care for my dental implants?
- What are the most common complications and reasons for failure?
- How do I prevent problems?
- How much do they cost?
- Do you offer financing for dental implants?
Dr. Wilcox also offers dentures and dental bridges, which are also great options for tooth replacement. He'll go over the pros and cons of each, and help you make a final decision. We are personally committed to restoring the comfort, function and appearance of your teeth, and providing you with a great smile you will be proud of.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Wilcox in Glendale, AZ, please call Desert Smiles at 602-978-1790.
Dental implants are a great option for those with missing teeth. Not only do they restore your beautiful smile but they contribute to good oral health while helping to prevent against future problems. Here at Desert Smiles, experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox works with you to determine the best course to give you a long-lasting healthy smile.
If you live in the Phoenix, Scottsdale, Glendale, or Peoria areas and want to learn more about dental implants, schedule a visit at Desert Smiles by calling 602-978-1790.
Dental crowns are a type of dental "restoration." They restore teeth that are weak or damaged. Today's tooth crowns look more natural than ever before while also retaining strength and durability.
Some of the most common reasons for needing a tooth crown are:
- To fill a large, advanced cavity that is too big to be treated with a dental filling
- To restore a broken, fractured or otherwise damaged tooth
- To restore a tooth that has been treated with root canal therapy
- As part of a dental bridge to replace missing teeth
- As part of a dental implant to replace missing teeth
If you think you may need a tooth crown, the only way to know for sure is to visit experienced dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox. As a first-time guest at our practice, you and Dr. Wilcox will discuss your dental health history and review your options for rejuvenating your smile. Dr. Wilcox will not only determine if you need a dental crown; he will also inform you of all of your treatment options so you can choose the one that works for you.
If you are interested in dental crowns to restore your smile, please call experienced Glendale dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox, at 602-978-1790. Our experienced staff will arrange a consultation for you at our Phoenix-area practice.
As someone missing one or more teeth, you may feel too embarrassed to smile and laugh. For this reason, the presence of missing teeth is bad for your mental and emotional well-being. But lost teeth are also bad for your oral health. Dental implants are an effective, durable and secure form of teeth replacement. Watch the video below to find out if you are a good candidate.
The only way to know for sure is to visit Dr. Donald Wilcox in Glendale for a one-on-one consultation. To arrange your appointment, please call our experienced staff at 602-978-1790. Dr. Wilcox is proud to serve people from across Arizona, including Scottsdale, Peoria, Phoenix and all of the surrounding areas.
Many of our patients have experienced outstanding results from implant dentistry! Consider some of the things to expect from the results:
- You'll need to allow some time for the implant to fuse with the bone. This is essential to the healing process. You'll wear a temporary restoration during this time. After that, the permanent tooth restoration will be attached to the implant.
- Dental implants have the potential to last a lifetime, making them one of the longest-lasting tooth replacement systems, if not THE longest-lasting tooth replacement system.
- Dental implants offer maximum stability. They stand apart from other tooth replacement systems because they are embedded in the bone beneath your teeth. There, the implants form a secure bond with the bone. For this reason, they won't move around and they are highly unlikely to fail once the site heals.
- Dental implants look like your natural teeth. The porcelain dental crown, dental bridge or denture fastened to the dental implants look incredibly lifelike. Their color is matched to the color of your natural teeth, and they have the luster and sheen of real enamel.
The only way to know for sure whether you are a good candidate is to call Desert Smiles to schedule a consultation with Dr. Donald Wilcox. To arrange your appointment, please call our experienced staff at 602-978-1790. We are proud to serve Glendale and all of the surrounding areas, including Phoenix, Scottsdale and Peoria.
Tooth crowns are an important dental restoration. They protect damaged, vulnerable teeth. At Desert Smiles, we offer the following types of tooth crowns for our patients:
- All-porcelain crowns. Porcelain crowns are precisely matched to the color of your teeth. You can even have your teeth whitened beforehand, and then match the crown to your bright smile. These crowns are durable and strong, effectively restoring a weakened tooth. Yet they are also the most aesthetically pleasing tooth crowns available.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns. Although porcelain crowns are quite durable, they are more susceptible to breaking and wear than other types of crowns. They are a very good option for front teeth, but for molars, where a lot of chewing force is exerted, a porcelain-fused-to-metal option may be better. These crowns have the strength of metal without the unsightliness of metal.
- Gold crowns. Gold crowns are occasionally recommended. These crowns are used much less often than other types of crowns, mainly because of their distracting appearance in your smile.
The only way to know which type of tooth crown will best protect your teeth is to visit experienced Glendale dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox. Our dental team will make sure you know all of your options for a treatment approach that will yield a healthy, beautiful, strong smile.
If you live in Glendale and want to know if a tooth crown is right for your dental health, then please call Desert Smiles, at 602-978-1790, to schedule a consultation with experienced dentist Dr. Donald Wilcox! Dr. Wilcox is proud to serve people from across the greater Phoenix area, including Scottsdale and Peoria.
http://www.desertsmiles.com/In our quest to always provide the latest and best possible dental solutions, Dr. Wilcox attended a continuing education course at the Glidewell International Technology Center in Irvine California this past weekend. The course was focused on full-arch implant solutions including overdentures and the popular fixed zirconium restoration. Dr. Paresh Patel served as the instructor for the course.
Denture wearers or patients faced with losing teeth no longer have to wear something removable in their mouth. With implant supported options fixed restorations are now available that do not require removal. The zirconium restoration provides great esthetic results and is incredibly durable. We are currently providing this service in our office and having excellent results. If you would like a complimentary consultation to see if you would be a candidate for this procedure call our staff at DesertSmiles at 602-978-1790.